Get a Former State Prosecutor working on your side
The Conner Law Office is committed to providing top quality legal services and professional advice to the people, organizations, and businesses of Cabarrus County, North Carolina, and surrounding areas. We welcome the opportunity to talk with you and to discuss how we may be of service. To make an appointment, please call 704-720-0595 today.
20 Nuggets of Advice for My Teenage Clients in Juvenile Court
May 9, 2014
Perhaps it is the combination of having Juvenile Court this Friday morning and Mother's Day weekend upon us, but I must confess that I was not an easy child to raise. Now that I am a parent, I am all the more thankful for my mother and the village of individuals (teachers, grandparents, coaches, church youth counselors and friends parents) who helped me become the person I am today.
When I was 13 years old, Michael Jordan was my hero. Having a love for basketball, I wanted to be like Mike. My 8th grade year, I attended a camp called "Achievements Unlimited" and got the opportunity to meet Michael Jordan for the first time. Besides watching every move he made on the court, I hung onto every word he uttered. Here is some of his advice that made a positive impact on me and that I would like to share with you.
1) Trust Yourself and be true to yourself. If you try shortcuts, then the game or life will shortcut you.
2) Master the Fundamentals. You have got to master the basics before you move on. If you don't get the fundamentals, the bottom can fall out of your game, your schoolwork or your life.
3) Learn from Your Parents
4) Practice Every Day
5) School is Important
6) Do NOT Let People Get in Your Head
7) Know How to Respond to Failure
Jordan missed more than 9,000 shots in his career. He have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions he was entrusted to take the game winning shot and missed. And he has failed over and over and over again in his life. And that is why he succeeds.
8) Do Not Fear -
When we let go of our fears, we tend to be more aggressive and take full advantage of our opportunities.
9) Just Do It-
There are three types of people in this word (1)Some people want it to happen (2) some wish it would happen, (3) others make it happen.
Jordan is the type of person who makes it happen.
Which type are you?
10) You Can NOT Do It Alone- Find support in choosing friends that support you and that do not bring you down. Surround yourself with positive individuals who help to inspire you to go after your dreams!
11) Excellence Speaks for Itself
When you consistently deliver an excellent product, people will find out. No marketing firm necessary.
12) A Positive Attitude will determine your Altitude!
13) When it is Time to Change, Change
14) Learn to Harness Your Emotions
15) Love What You Do
16) Play Business like a Game
17) Forget the Past
18) Focus and set goals for the Future
19) Embrace the Present
20) My final piece of personal advice, live your life like it was being recorded by a video camera. In today's world, camera's are all around us and can catch us when we do wrong or behave badly. If you pretend that there is a camera on you at all times, you may think twice about that action that could get you in trouble.
Sources: How to Be Like Mike: 20 Life Lessons from Michael Jordan, By: Nick Scheidies